[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Welcome Holly!

Holly -

Nice to see another lady on the list ;)  You must take Wayne in New 'Joisey with
a grain of salt - he is the humour that keeps us sane on this list during long
cloudy periods.... ;)

>I live by a creek in the damp foggy rainy Pacific northwest.  Meteor viewing is
very chancy.

I originally hail from the Pacific northwest as well, Canada's Vancouver Island.

>I currently have so much light pollution locally that it is very discouraging.

It's a problem.  I hope that, with all the publicity for Comets Hyakutake and
Hale-Bopp, that people have also been trying to emphasize to the news media and
the public the need for controls on lighting....

This coming Saturday, April 12th, my local club -  RASC Kingston, Ontario - will
be putting on an all-day display at the largest mall in the city, for
International Astronomy Day.  We will have lots of poster displays, telescopes,
photos, 'hands-on' stufff for kids, freebie handouts for the public, etc...
including displays on light pollution and how it affects seeing the sky.... The
evening program, joint with Queen's University, will be telescopic viewing.

Anyway, welcome to the list - Holly!   And don't mind <Wayne> Hally!

- Cathy  Hall(Leigh) ;)
   ... hey, Wayne, just a middle name ;)
   Ottawa, Ontario