[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Showers

<< Both of these are daytime showers.Yopu'll not see any of them at night.
 >August 12 - Perseid shower (the best one)

 I would say that many who observed the Geminids this year would strongly
 disagree that the Perseids are currently the best. Some observers counted
 over 1200 in a night! Meanwhile Peseid rates have been falling slowly over
 the past few years.
 >December 13 - Geminid shower
 (Bad moon problems this year)
 I would add to your list...
  Jul 28- Southern Delta- Aquarids
  Aug 31- Sept 8 alpha and delta Aurigids
  Oct 21- Orionids (Bad moon problems this year).
  Leonids Nov 17..(Bad moon problems this year), BUT
 in 1998 and 1999 has the potential for thousands of meteors an hour from
 dark sites. Notice I said potential!!
 	Dec22 Ursids
 	Jan 3rd Quadrantids

 For good shower info check the NAMN, IMO, or Gary krtonk's meteor page.
 Or the AMS's

The other thing I would like to add is not to limit oneself to jus the 90
minutes before dawn. Really anything after midnight is good, but I'd say
anything after 10 PM local time is a good place to start.
Essentially anytime your ABLE is a good time to observe

kevin.