[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Radio Astronomy

Steve wrote:  >>>Daytime showers are best observed not visually, but with
specific radio equipment designed for radio astronomers.  I believe that
this equipment picks up short radio bursts generated by meteors as they
enter the
atmosphere, allowing you to detect meteors during the day.

Does anyone know how much this equipment costs, and where it can be
purchased?  I would be interested in getting into radio astronomy
someday, when I have the cash.<<<

Steve,

The June Arietids are a major meteor shower equaling the best night showers
but few get the opportunity to experience them except by radio methods.

It's cheap to radio observe meteors as you can just use a good quality FM
radio and an FM yagi antenna from Radio Shack ($20.) The method of
receiving meteors is called "forward scatter" and there are places on the
web where you can get information.

The key as to whether you will be able to receive meteors is if you can
find a space on your local FM radio dial where there are no local stations.
For example, scan through the dial starting at 88 MHz and see if there are
open places of white noise anywhere up to 108 MHz.  These local open
frequencies are where you are able to receive meteors.  The FM yagi antenna
helps greatly in tuning *away* from local stations or in between them.
Also, if you do not have a good quality FM radio you can buy a GE SUPERADIO
for $60 at K-Mart or Radio Shack makes a comparable for for $60. or so.
Each of these radios are super tuned and have antenna jacks on the back
which make things easy. So for about $90 you actually have a great radio
telescope that you can do research with.

If you live in or near a large metropolitan area (for example Atlanta) then
receiving radio meteors may not be worth pursuing.

Sorry, I can not direct you to the exact radio meteor info on the web as I
only have an antiquted Mac Classic computer and can not access the web. If
you do not find info then contact me and I will help you further. I will
also send you a FAQ that Chris Steyaert who publishes the Radio Meteor
Observer's Bulletin put together. It has good info.

But try to locate George Zay's article on how to begin as this is quite
well done and gives a step by step method.

Good luck.

Thomas Ashcraft
72632.1427@compuserve.com