[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) antennae

     Scott was talking about radio astronomy.  I remember an article in Sci
Amer. a few months ago in the amateur scientist section.  It dealt with a
wound core kind of like an electromagnet that could detect low frequency
waves. It worked along with a simple circuit device and perhaps a voltmeter.
 I believe it was for detecting earth tremors (rules out the So Cal boys) or
lightning but I think it could be used for meteor detection.  It wasn't very
expensive of difficult to make.  I believe Ashcraft is the expert on this
subject.  Could a used satellite dish or a waveguide work?  Seems like old
dishes are a dime a dozen nowadays with cable and Primestar type stuff.  I
think a waveguide is a passive radar device isn't it?  There are probably so
many articles on the WWW on the subject I cannot imagine!  I may be watching
too many movies (Invasion comes to mind).

                                        1st