[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Florida Fireball May 24

this was posted on the astronomy mailing list this morning...anybody in
florida have any reportings? Sounds like it could be a re-entering satellite
of some kind to me?
George Zay
---------------

<< From:	steves@flinet.com (steve sanacore)
 Hi all;

 I just observed a large biggest fireball that must have gone at least 90
 degrees across the zenith from North to South at aprox. 11:40pm Sat. May
 24, 1997.  I am in South Florida. Did anyone else see this?  A few
 questions came to mind after witnessing such a bright show. It was
 clearly a red fireball with a trail of sparks and smoke that lasted a
 few seconds. The sky was fairly light with the moon rising in the East.
 Just how large would such a meteor have to be to create such a sight? It
 did clearly go dark well above the horizon, so does that mean that it
 probably disintegrated well before reaching the surface? ...Steve<<