[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Upsilon Pegasids anyone? (Really: non-IMO shower velocities)

Lew Gramer wrote:

> If the Cloud Gods allow, I'll be out doing some dark-sky plotting from about
> July 29 to August 3. I'd like to identify any "Upsilon Pegasids" I happen to
> observe. The snag is that my only source of UPE information is Gary Kronk's
> excellent "Meteor Catalog", and Gary doesn't list radiant drift or geocentric
> velocity data for his non-IMO showers! (Actually, I'm sure I could use those
> orbital elements to DERIVE these data somehow, but that's beyond me... :>)
>
> So my first question: what's the apparent velocity of the UPEs (i.e., what do
> the reports of "swift" meteors mean, exactly)? Second question: from what
> source can I find such details in future for OTHER non-IMO showers? Thanks!
>
> Lew

In reply for the request for non IMO shower velocities and drifts I may
be able to help with some if anybody has a specific request.  Our meteor
section has a fairly comprehensive list of Southern Showers, but the
info is still incomplete.  Like Mark Davis we are accumulating info as
we see it mainly from the Internet.

As for the Upsilon Pegasids, I have little, only the standard duration
maximum and RA-DEC data.  The drift may be similar to the July Pegasids
being in a similar RA and Dec range.  July Peg RA dirft = +0.8 deg DEC
drift = +0.2 deg.

I have some observations to post, about 7 hours of plotting of the Cap
and Aqu region.  Also a report of a possible stream in Cap.  Will fo
that soon.

Hope I've been some help
Adam Marsh, ASVMS