[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) OBSERVATION Aug 6/7 GRALE

Re: (meteorobs) "Meteor" Obser. Aug 6/7 ZAYGE
At 08:48 AM 8/7/97 -0400, you wrote:
>"Meteor" Observations for Aug 6/7, 1997:

Well, George, you've just described about 50% of my attempted "observing"
sessions here in lovely (and aptly named) New England. :>

I *DID* manage to get out for a clear Teff~=1.7 last night however! The
clouds swept in at 00:10 local (just 5 MINUTES after I finished my
bleary-eyed drive up to the observing site, 50 minutes from my home). So I
grumbled and cursed to myself, but held the faith until 01:00 - JUST at
which point the breaks began to appear... Although much of the about 2
hours observing was under 5-20% cloud cover, it was a lovely, BLACK sky
when it was clear, and some notable meteors were seen. I'll forward the
report most likely tomorrow, but the summary:

           Teff  F   LM    PER  NDA  SDA  NIA  SIA  CAP  KCG  SPOR Total
0500-0650  1.68 1.03 6.35  20   3    1    2    0    3    2    17   48

Notably, several meteors were recorded as SPORs in spite of perfect line-up
with the PERs, and matches on speed, because they were too SHORT! I'll
reexamine the magnitudes of some of these tomorrow - could I have been
UNDERestimating fainter shower members all this time because I thought
their path lengths too short?? What IS a "minimum" length for shower
association?!

All signs look good for tonight - here's hoping the East Coast can do its
share! :) Clear skies and many meteors all,

Lew