[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Elvis Outshines the Perseids!

Hi Everybody,

Well I have returned from the lovely Perseid-busting "Leadership Seminar" my
office sent me to, and am now wading through hundreds of emails, playing
catch-up and seeing how folks did on the Perseids. If you are waiting to
hear from me, please forgive the delay as I go through my inbox.

After arriving in Tupelo, Mississippi, I immediately set about trying to
locate a suitable spot to do some observing from. There was a nice, secluded
site north of town at a place known as "Elvis Presley Park & Lake." The
night of August 11th was completely overcast, so I gave up and went back to
the motel. The next night was also cloudy, but this time I made a roadtrip
up to Tennessee to Shiloh National Battlefield. Since I work for the
National Park Service, I was able to gain access to a very good, restricted
site. But once again my efforts were spoiled by the clouds. I did see a few
meteors through the gaps in the clouds, but no data was collected. Batting 0
for 2 now, I gave up the meteor hunt as I was having more and more trouble
staying awake during my training sessions!

Although I am unable to report any Perseids, I can report a number of Elvis
sightings! Seems this week was known as "Anniversary Week" by the locals in
memory of Elvis passing away 20 years ago. I saw big ones, little ones, tall
ones, short ones, American ones, English ones, French ones, and even
Australian ones! Some sort of "clubs" all over the world were converging on
Tupelo. At one motel alone, on Tuesday morning, 18 buses were being loaded
for a day trip to Memphis!

And finally....

as a reminder, we will be holding the next IRC chat Monday night, August 18
at 8:00 pm EDT. The server is  centurion.daldot net  and the room is  #namn.
Hope to see ya'll there. Bring your Elvis CD's.....

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, USA
Coordinator, North American Meteor Network
Assistant Coordinator, ALPO Meteors Section
Visit the NAMN home page at:
	http://medicine.wustldot edu/~kronkg/namn.html