[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) meteor

Hi Joel,
You must be carefull, my dear friend. I have learnt that accademics will
help you if there is fame, but treat you like a fool if they have
nothing to gain.
You must remember , that the "cheapest" piece of meteor is about
US$5.00/gram on the market. There are some really unscroupelous people
who trade in it an will stoop low, even to steal meteors.
The stone I had examined, contains very little Iron and Chrome and has
Pyroxene and Olivine in it. It has a lot of silicate crystals in it, but
the lab cannot confidently say it IS a meteor. I will therefore keep it
amongst my "weird stone" collection. The little sperules still has me
puzzled as well as the 4mm crust on the one side. It looks like
fossilised black sand with gun-metal grey inside. The larger crystals
are quite pure and have no flaws. (0.2 - 1.5mm)
So, unfortunately, I classify it as a stone. I will take a photograph of
it in sunlight and send you a pic later. The electronic camera I used,
does it no justice.
Keep well Joel and best of luck.
I have sent a copy of this to the Astro list and Meteor list as some
people have asked me about my stone.
Cheers