[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: meteor notes NM

Hi Norman,

> I have never seen a meteor convince me that it "skipped off the atmosphere."
> Objects below some given size ought not be able to do that -- the drag would
> finish them off.  But the pair of fireballs in one evening over the western
> U.S. last winter was interpreted by one researcher as being from just one
> meteoroid.  It hit the atmosphere tangentially the first time (I don't
> consider that a skip-off ; there just wasn't any projected impact point),
> then made a full earth orbit and reentered a second time further west.  This
> was discussed on meteorobs at the time.

I thought this theory was skipped later because of the low probability. Do
you know the latest 'state of knowledge' in this case?
Sirko

*           Sirko Molau             *                    __              *
*         Verbindungsweg 7          *             " 2B v 2B "            *
*          D-15366 Hoenow           *                                    *
*  molau@informatik.rwth-aachendot de  *                       Shakespeare  *
*      http://www.snafudot de/~smo     *                                    *