[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Non-meteor e-mail lists

Tim et al -

You wrote:
>Isn't it the responsibility of members of this mailing list to show members
>what they're doing wrong and what they're doing right, as opposed to
>criticizing them and embarassing them?

This mailing list is for discussion purposes - about meteors, and related
fields.  In quiet times, it sometimes digresses into other areas.  But we
don't need to be bombarded with a lot of <really> off-topic stuff, and a lot
of us don't like all these <one-liner> e-mails clogging up our in-baskets!!

I am just as willing as the next person on this list to help out beginners.
Heck, I had a tough time getting accepted as a serious observer when <I> was
that age.  But... I really don't appreciate it when people keep harping on
non-meteor topics.  There are many busy people on this list, and we are
lucky to have it.  Let's not abuse that privilege!!

As for criticism, sometimes it is indeed <valid>.  And sometimes it is hard
for younger, inexperienced people to accept this.  There are a lot of very
knowledgable people on this meteor list, but if you ask a question, you must
be prepared to <listen> to their replies....  They have the experience.

> I signed onto this list to learn more about
>meteor observing because it is a field that I'd like to get into.  But, I
>myself have posted questions and received no answers.

You might have just hit a time when people were very busy, or out of town
observing (heaven forbid!).  Why don't you re-post your question....

>Maybe this e-mail series is just a waste of disk space

It is only a waste of space if people abuse the privilege of having it.  If
people want to discuss a lot of non-meteor stuff, I personally would
appreciate them doing it somewhere else.

Perhaps you guys could post the details on how to contact some of the
general astronomy e-mail lists, which some of the people on this meteor list
might find more suitable for their various non-meteor questions.... ???
That actually could be quite helpful!

(Lew, Wayne, George.... do you have e-mail addresses for the list
administrators for some of the other general astronomy e-mail lists.....??
Could you post them??)

Just my two cents....

- Cathy
  Great White North