[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Total Lunar Eclipse LIVE

A number of observatories plan to transmit live eclipse images (Sept 16)
on the web.

We have published a list at http://www.amtsgym-sdbg.dk/as/eclinks.htm
if any observatories are missing, please mail us.

The European Association for Astronomy Education will perform a number
of student projects during the coming Lunar eclipse, Sept 16.

The intentions are to rework the old Lunar Eclipse measurements
performed by e.g. Ptolemeus, Columbus and Amerigo.

By means of simple math, such a lunar eclipse may actually tell our
students their longitude.

If you want to contribute to and support these simple World Wide
student-experiments, please take a look :

http://www.eso.org/outreach/spec-prog/aol/market/collaboration/luneclipse/eclipse97.html

Multiexposure eclipse photos, performed with a usual, RA-Tracked camera,
would be of high interest too, allowing even a student determination of
the Lunar distance.

---

Best greetings

Mogens Winther

p.s..  For the advanced CCD amateur. :

If stars become visible on your CCD exposures during the totality,
please take a photo at exactly 1900 UT. (e.g. ST6 + 500 mm lens = 40
arcminute field of vision).

If we compare photos taken at different locations, we may illustrate the
well known phenomena called parallax, see e.g. the APAA-EAAE
Comet-Parallax, described in Sky & Telescope, Feb 1997 - or
http://www.amtsgym-sdbg.dk/as/ags2.htm