>>Subj:  west texas explosion...
Date:  97-10-09 19:30:24 EDT
From:  Hwyman Co

at approximately 17:06 ut this afternoon i was startled by the following...
a loud boom, boom, and then BOOM. the first two were in the noise range of a
sonic boom (shook the house windows). the loud one that followed was enough
to shake my homes structure. these were followed by a series of sputter-like
explosions that lasted for about the next 6-7 seconds.
going outside...i witnessed a large ( probably 10 degrees in circumference )
white smoke cloud...at an elevation of about 6-7,000 ft above me...direction
was almost due east of me about 75 degrees above the horizon...
up-dated reports from witnesses claim to have seen a bright streak of light
and then a very bright flash of light followed almost instantly by the
noises...
at this hour...a large burn area has been reported 27 miles east and 20 miles
north of the el paso, texas city limits and teams are headed in that
direction to investigate...
earliest reports suggest that this was a meteor...numerous reports suggest
that there was falling debris visible as spark-like...
will update this board if warranted...<<