[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) AMS Observing periods

George asked (perhaps tongue in cheek):

>From the AMS website I came across this:
>
>>>To become an observer or student affiliate of the AMS Ltd., the
>requirements for visual observers
>are: To go out on three clear, moonless nights, starting not earlier than 10
>P.M., and make hourly
>counts of all meteors seen for a total period each night of at least 3 hours.
><<
>
>If an observer sends a meteor report to AMS with hours of observations prior
>to 10 pm, will the report be accepted?
>George Zay

The short answer is:  Yes, of course.

The above quoted requirements are for obtaining "Student" or "Observer"
status as an AMS affiliate (and a reduction in dues cost).  These criteria
were established by the Board of Directors in 1993and are outlined in AMS
Bulletin No. 200 - Aims and Purposes.

If a person wishes to affiliate with the AMS, but does not wish to obtain
Observer status, then an Associate membership can be obtained by payment of
the appropriate dues amount without meeting such criteria.

On the other hand:

All AMS affiliates, regardless of their membership status, are encouraged
to make regular visual observations of meteors for contribution to the AMS
Visual Program.  Such observations can encompass the entire period from
dusk to dawn (with daylight fireballs reported separately, as seen!).

As I indicated in an earlier post to this list this summer, and also in the
recently released AMS news bulletin, I would strongly encourage observers
to make observations on those non-shower nights and evening hours which are
traditionally not well covered by visual observers.  The purpose of this is
to support current research by the AMS into the structure of the sporadic
meteor flux.  Thus, the requirements for Observer membership status should
NOT be taken as an indication of current AMS research interests.

The board chose the 10 pm starting point as a rather simple "rite of
passage" in acknowledgement of the fact that most experienced meteor
observers conduct their watches beginning in the late, rather than early,
evening hours -- including yourself, George.  I would also think that the
later starting time would help to keep beginning meteor observers
attempting to meet this criteria from becoming too bored by early evening
sporadic rates -- which I have also heard you complain about.

Best regards,

     Jim

James Richardson
Graceville, Florida
richardson@digitalexp.com

Operations Manager / Radiometeor Project Coordinator
American Meteor Society (AMS)
http://www.serve.com/meteors/