[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) SPAM

Hi all,

> e-mail address with .forward file, or smail or similar program is
> used, without real meteorobs user...in either way it should be possible
> that sender's address is checked before message is forwarded to the
people
> on distribution list. If address is not on the list, he would get the
> message back (or, if he is, Lew could simply remove him).
>
> Vladimir

As this is part of my everyday job, I think I can put my two "french
pacific francs" to this thread.

Meteorobs is, as most of the mailing lists on the Internet, managed by
Majordomo, a dedicated program with a lot of parameters that can be
changed.

One parameter that can be changed is that Majordomo would accept only mail
sent by members of the mailing list. Of course this would also stop email
concerning some meteor observations from some people out of the mailing
list.

Of course, spammers are used to this too so they usually subscribe to the
mailing list (with a forged adress, one which does not really exists) then
they send their spam and then they unsubscribe (or may be they leave their
adress as it is a fake one)

The next step is to make subscriptions available only by emailing to the
list owner, with a little presentation, name, age, tel and fax number,
astro society...

Of course, NAMN, IMO AMS, ... members can be exempted from this
presentation and just say they are a NAMN, IMO, AMS, .... member.

About answering to a spam,
do not send any email to any adress indicated as your personal email would
be registered and you may find lots of spam in your personal mail box soon.

One of the "good" method is sending a fax spam. If you are in the same
county as the spammer and get his fax member, fax him with a computer
fax/modem 1000 pages of whatever you want. (and may be you can do it 100
times). This should costs you some time but not much money. Do not do it
with a normal fax connected 24/24 as they might do the reverse fax spam to
you. The best way is to use a laptop and a public access phone but this may
be considered as hacking ...

Jean-Christophe 'Papou' Millot - Computer and Network Consultant
from Noumea - New Caledonia (22d16 S, 166d27E) UT+11
email : papou@canl.nc    home page : http://www.chez.com/papou
Association Caledonienne d'Astronomie : http://www.mygale.org/09/ascala/