[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) NAMN Photographic Form

At 05:11 PM 10/20/97 -0400, you wrote:

>You got all the info that you need to make your form complete enough for the
>BASIC level that NAMN is involved with.

See below.....

>Well...the  form you have on your website now doesn't look anywhere near the
>form that I came up with for any of the modifications. In fact, it looks like
>it was produced by someone that didn't have a clue or didn't go by any of my
>revised forms. Every version was basically the same...that is they have
>nearly the same info with a couple small additions. Most of the modifications
>dealt with the cosmetic look of the form. In the end I settled with two
>forms...one for guided cameras and another for unguided cameras.

If you already have the forms, why can't you supply them to NAMN? Do you
recommend using both the guided and unguided form? Which would a beginning
observer be more inclined to use?

>Actually, I think I left NAMN before you got the Photographic form put on the
>website. I do know that the first time I saw it was last week. Since I left
>NAMN in August 1996, I haven't visited the NAMN website.

Well, I am ready to put it on now as soon as you can provide it. But it may
take a little bit to actually get it on the site as that depends on Gary's
workload. I wasn't aware that you haven't visited it since August 1996. May
I ask what prompted this latest visit?

>No it didn't have the expertise that IMO has...but when I was with NAMN, the
>expertise was there for the Beginner who wanted to get started. I think my
>articles about photographing meteors would have suffice for the
>beginner...even if my grammar wasn't the best. But I believe it was
>understandable?

Oops, you mistook my point. I am saying NAMN is not involved with
photographic work to the extent others are. We never were. I had no problems
with your aticles. In fact, we even have some of your work in the NAMN Guide
with your permission. Remember?

>Yes...for an introductory level at least.  Use the WWW to link on to
>additional information beyond the introductory level. If a topic is not there
>for someone to read about, even at the introductory level, they may not be
>aware of it's existence. Such as Telescopic observing, Meteor Spectroscopy,
>Radio monitoring or Video recording.

We're in agreement here. NAMN doesn't have the expertise in any of these
techniques. We do provide directions to those that doand some of these
topics have been covered on an introductory level in the NAMN Guide.

>...and I'm sure my words are clear enough to understand that I support sending
>photographic info to Marc and thus the IMO.

My apologies, I must have misunderstood what you meant. This is sometimes a
problem with email, but I am glad you support this effort of NAMN.

>As I said earlier...I already provided you with the info that the NAMN form
>is lacking. Whether you use it or not is up to you.

See above.....

>If you can't handle advice, how do you expect the grand ole AMS ship to
stay >afloat as an Assistant whatever?

Did I say something that gave you the indication I can't handle advice? That
was not my intent. No one can know it all, so I am open to advice. But if
you are going to offer advice, may I offer some in return: if you are going
to take the time to offer advice, then be prepared to take the time to
assist in implementing it. Then, you have a hand in improving whatever it is
you are offering advice about. It's sorta like being empowered.

Better go for now. I have some email waiting to be done, and it's almost
time to head for work. When the forms arrive, I will let you know if I have
any more questions. Until then......

Clear skies,

-Mark