[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Orionid Observations Oct 22/23 ZAYGE

Well...got to the observatory shortly after sundown and set up for the
night..dot camera, tracking device, observing cots, electric blanket etc. The
fog was already heavy and I had my doubts. But sometimes, by midnight the fog
will "drain" back to the coast from the mountains. By 8 pm it did. The skies
were clear as a bell. I began my nap at 7pm till shortly before 11 pm. I
started my observations at 23h01 Local under clear 6.0 skies. However, at
1h15 I notice the fog coming back and by 1h20 I was socked in. Began napping
again as I waited for the fog to drain back out. By 2:45 heavy drizzle
started..dot decided to call it a night and head for home. I plotted everything
but the Orionids. Recorded 31 meteors for an approximate 1.9 hours. This
after subtracting plotting time and camera operations time. Average LM
probably will be near 5.8 for the whole period due to moon effects towards
the end. I recorded 15 Orionids, 7 N. Taurids, 1 e-Geminid, and 8 sporadics.
The brightest meteor was an Orionid and a couple sporadics. During this
period the radiant was roughly below 30 degrees above the horizon. I got the
impression that Orionid activity was about normal. Plan on observing again
tonight. Hopefully the weather will be cooperative.
George Zay