[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) WG-PACM Alert: Beta Cygnids Nov. 1-8

At 01:12 AM 11/1/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Alert from the IAU C-22 Pro-Am Working Group:

>Peter Jenniskens
>Chairman - IAU C-22 Pro-Amat Working Group
>e-mail: peter@max.arc.nasadot gov
>

>                                              **Beta Cygnids Nov. 1-8**
>
>Below is another alert to possible unusual meteor activity. Please observe
>this event if possible in the hope of documenting a meteor outburst.
>
>On November 3, 1997, the Earth will pass close to the orbit of comet
>103P/Hartley 2. That orbit used to pass just within the Earth's orbit back

Hi Jim
I took the opportunity to observe the Beta Cygnids as you requested.   My
original intent was to attend an observing session of my local club, but as
I was the only person that turned up I went on to Plan B; check out the Beta
Cygnids.   It was very early in the evening so I didn't expect much
activity, but I was surprised.  I started observing at 6:00 PM and by 10:00
Pm I had seen four artificial satellites, and sixteen meteors, five of them
Beta Cygnids.

My summary is below.

Location;  Piru Creek Campground, Los Padres National Forest, near Gorman, CA
Elevation;  Approx 4,500 feet
Seeing;  Excellent
Observing Time;  2:00 to 6:00 UT
All times in the Tabulation are UT

TIME            RADIANT                 MAGNITUDE       DURATION
SPEED           COLOR
2:02            Taurus                       -2                         1
sec*                  Fast                    White
2:30            BETA-CYG                  2                         .8 sec
Moderate           White
2:53            Taurus                         3                        1
sec*                  Moderate           White
2:58            Aquarius                      3                       .5 sec
Fast                   White
3:05            Capricorn                     5                       .8
Moderate
3:29            Taurus                          4                        1
sec*                 Very Fast            White
3:45            BETA-CYG                   2                        2 sec
Slow                    White
3:54            BETA-CYG                   2                         1 sec
Moderate            White
4:05            BETA-CYG                   5                         .5 sec
Moderate
4:11            BETA-CYG                   5                         .5 sec
Moderate
4:12            Taurus                          2                         1
sec*                Fast                    White
4:29            Taurus                          2                         2
sec*                Fast                    White
4:40            Taurus                          5
.5 sec*              Fast                    White
4:47            Taurus                          1
.5 sec*              Fast                   White
4:49            Taurus                          2
.5 Sec*              Fast                   White
5:12            BETA-CYG                   4                           .5
Fast

*  These Taurids appeared over my head and were probably much longer in duration

It was interesting that all of the above passed through the Summer Triangle,
with the exception of the meteor at 4:12 UT.

I hope this helps with the study of the Beta-Cygnids.    If you need any
further clarification, please contact me.

Ron Rennie