[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Loenids in ZS

Howdy Lew,

I did not respond directly to this chap, as i have no "South African"
specific information to give him.

You can tell him that the predicted Leonid maximum is supposed to be over
the western portions of north and south America, and the eastern Pacific.
However, in the exact same breath, you should stress that these predictions
are not a sure thing -- we don't know exactly what we will collide with
until we collide with it.

My best recommendation is for him to tune up his radio and see what he
gets, especially while the shower radiant is low in the sky for his
longitude (below about 45-50 deg).  A north-south signal path might work
best, but a SE-NW or SW-NE might also yield results.  Radio activity might
be noticed while the radiant is rising, but don't forget to look for
activity while it is also setting during the morning (daylight) hours also.

Hope this helps,

Jim

James Richardson
Graceville, Florida
richardson@digitalexp.com

Operations Manager / Radiometeor Project Coordinator
American Meteor Society (AMS)
http://www.serve.com/meteors/