[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Full Moon Meteor Photography Question

As we all know, this years Leonids will be during near full moonlight
conditions. In the past, I've been able to make usable negatives if I used
400ASA black and white film...provided I limit my exposures from 5 to 10
minutes...and aim the camera in a Northerly or Northeast direction and up at
about 55 degrees above the horizon....that is away from the moon.  I usually
set my 28mm f/stop at around 2.8. I was wondering if setting my f/stop at a
setting around 4.5 would permit me to make longer exposures and still capture
-2 Leonid type meteors? Any ideas as to how long of an exposure I can make
for a 28mm lens at f/4.5 and not have "bullet proof" negatives? Is there
anyone in Europe with experience in making time exposure photographs during a
full moon? What f/stops do they use, for how long and what threshold
magnitude of meteors can I expect to capture?
George Zay