[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) (ams) NW Fireball

There was a good sized fireball last night in the Seattle/Vancouver area.
I've gotten 6 or 8 reports so far, and another 3-4 from Andre.  Here's on of
the more interesing ones, with a report of sound effects:

>Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 04:24:29 -0500
>From: World Wide Web Account <www@www2.serve.com>
>To: meteors@serve.com
>Subject: FORM RESULTS
>
>Form results from http://www.serve.com/meteors/form_1.html
>
>---------------- AA_Name
>Jason Knight
>
>---------------- AA_Sender_Email
>jknight@unixg.ubcdot ca
>
>---------------- AB_Date
>November 14-15 1997
>
>---------------- AC_time
>9:15
>
>---------------- AD_am/pm
>PM
>
>---------------- AE_Timezone
>Pacific
>
>---------------- AF_Other_Timezone
>

>---------------- AG_Type_time
>Standard
>
>---------------- AH_Location
>University of British Columbia Campus (Point Grey, Vancouver, B.C.)
>
>---------------- AI_Magnitude
>-3
>
>---------------- AK_Path_Length
>Variable. Multiple Pieces, perhaps 10 degrees apart
>
>---------------- AL_Initial_Az
>

>---------------- AM_Initial_Az_mag_or_true
>Magnetic
>
>---------------- AN_Direction_First_Seen
>
>---------------- AO_Initial_Alt
>unknown
>
>---------------- AP_Final_Azimuth
>

>---------------- AQ_Final_Azimuth_mag_or_true
>Magnetic
>
>---------------- AR_Direction_last_seen
>
>---------------- AS_Final_Altitude
>0 (zero)
>
>---------------- AT_Overhead
>Yes
>
>---------------- AU_Duration
>greater than 10 sec
>
>---------------- AV_Color
>Bright Orange, some white
>
>---------------- AW_Train
>Yes
>
>---------------- AX_Train_Duration
>>1
>
>---------------- AY_Train_Duration_Units
>minutes
>
>---------------- AZ_Train_Color
>Orange, white
>
>---------------- BA_Train_Length
>up to 10 degrees
>
>---------------- BB_Train_Remarks
>I first saw the object as it was falling in the east; a group next to me
had been following the object from the west - The best description was of
firework ashes falling. There appeared to be two main segments to the
object, each breaking up into smaller orange objects as it moved eastward.
The debris appeared to be too long lasting to anything but a fireball. The
objects passed visibly below my line of sight, without fading.

>---------------- BC_General_Remarks
>At first I was uncertain as to whether this was some sort of firework (I
was looking over downtown Vancouver at the time) or a meteor. It appeared to
last far too long, however; but it also seemed to be too slow moving to be a
meteor. Perhaps a piece of space debris (the Russian satellite that was to
break up over Japan yesterday, Nov. 13)? This would be more consistant with
the breakup seen.

>Although I am not completely certain whether or not this is connected to
the object(s), approximately 1.5 to 2 minutes later I could distinctly hear
a series (5~7) of low claps/rumbles, similar to thunder, but lower in
frequency and different in modulation. The sky was completely clear, and
this could indicate an event within 20 miles of my observing point. Sketchy
radio reports within the last hour seem to be confirming that parts of this
fireball have struck the ground within the Fraser Valley/ Northern
Washington (Abbotsford?).
>I have been attempting to confirm this with others.

>/meteors/ty.html

 |James R. Bedient               |E-Mail: jamesdot bedient@faa.dotdot gov|
 |Traffic Management Coordinator |   Fax: 808-739-7604             |
 |Federal Aviation Administration|  Home: wh6ef@pixi.com           |
 |Honolulu CERAP                 |School: jamesbed@hawaiidot edu      |