[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Leonid Storm Peeks over US West Coast (fwd)

Op Wed, 19 Nov 1997 GeoZay@aol.com schreef:

> Marco<<
>  The 1997 Leonids showed a major event over the western part of the USA.
>  Between 4:00 and 4:30 local time (12.00 - 12.30 UT), tens of fireballs
>  were seen by observers in Southern California.  There was a period in
>  which about one fireball of -4 or better was seen every minute.
>  Several of them -10 or so.  Many long enduring persistant trains
>  were reported.  Due to the bright moonlight, no faint meteors were seen.
>   >>
> -------------
>
> I've been hearing some references to a "storm" and Major events with this
> years Leonids along the U.S. west coast area.  I admit that there were some
> good activity and all, but nothing approaching a meteor storm. I wouldn't
> even call it a Major Event...just a good show despite the moon type of thing.
> During the period of of 12-12:30 UT, I only recorded about 15 meteors. Of
> which 5 were negative or fireball magnitudes. A definite thrill to see...but
> not a storm...nor a major event. I'd call it maybe a significant event, if
> anything, in regards to the Leonids prospects for stronger activity in the
> next couple years. But I think some of the descriptions I'm reading here are
> quite a bit overblown.
> George Zay

Hello George,

The message was not written by me, but forwarded by me (authors are Hans
Betlem and Mike Koop). As far as I can
see from the reports, rates might haven started to surge after 13:00 UT.
What I suspect is that this might be a narrow peak peaking just after
your californian observing window, over the western pacific. If I
remember your report correctly, you ended earlier than Bob did and Hans
c.s. reportedly did. I think Bob and Hans c.s. might have catched the
ascending slope of a peak. Their descriptions of quite some fireballs
starting to appear near the end of their sessions sound like that. Also
note that your Lm reportedly was much lower (full magnitude). For
the rest, I have too little factual data to say whether there was a true
small storm or not. Indeed, especially Hans is sometiomes prone to
 overstatement (he is a photographer not a visual guy) and is 'easy'
in using terms like 'storm'. I think you are right in that part of
 the comment.

If Bob and Hans c.s. indeed saw the onset of an event which peaked over
the western pacific, then the narrow component has indeed shifted in
solar logitude as we surmissed (see my 1996 december WGN report), and has
come out right at the cometary node. That is not unlikely, given that we
are only 3 months or so from the comets nodal passage.

-Marco