[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) A few more Leonids

At 12:01 PM 11/20/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>Hi Jim - I thought I would give you a tally of what my students saw in class
>>from the shower:
>>13:30-13:50	1
>>13:30-14:40	9
>>13:00-15:30	18
>Are these combined tallys from the students? About how many students were
>involved if so? For those who aren't aware...combined observations from
>individuals is a no-no for scientifically useful meteor data.
>George Zay

I guess it should be pretty obvious to the rest of us that these are NOT
combined tallies, since some of these counts have coincident start and/or
end times... Of course, George makes the very true point that these
students' meteor counts will be quite useless scientifically: No limiting
magnitudes for observers, no meteor brightnesses, no shower associations, etc.

Nonetheless, thanks for reporting the tallies anyway, Jim! It's a JOY to
think of a whole group of young students being introduced to the idea that
observing meteors really IS both a worthy and a fun activity...

Clear skies,
Lew