[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: NM 97Dec1/2 Sigma Hydrids good + more

The night of 1997 Dec 1/2 was one of my best for conditions.  The sky was
LM7.4 the entire time, and the Fort Myers light dome was minimal at 25o up
in my west.  Even inside the dome was less bright than usual.  The
temperature wasn't all that bad, high 50's.   After moving over to Fort
Myers from Miami in 1979 Oct I wondered how long my observing site would
stay dark.  So far no problem since the growth is staying close to the
coast, and there are a fair number of the best type of streetlights being
used.   Shielded lights really work well.   I go 22 miles further inland
from town.

Observing 123 - 545 EST (623 - 1045 UT) for 4:22 hours  I saw 60 meteors.
Looking at the 4 complete local hours 126 to 526 gave total rates of
13,12,19,14;  sporadics were 3,6,8,11.  The main event was the Sigma Hydrids
with rates 4,2,5,1.  That is a good display for their max period which comes
on the best Geminid nights.  I rarely see 5/hr from any minor shower so this
is a remarkable experience for me.  (Alpha Scorpiids have done it; and I
think Mu Virginids.)   Puppid-Velids also continue good with rates 1,1,2,0.
The Taurids continue at 1-2/hr in addition to the Chi Orionids at similar
levels.  Other meteors seen were 2 Geminids, 1 Andromedid, and 1
Monocerotid.  Nothing was brighter than 0m.

I went 19 minutes into a new hour before quitting, and saw only 2 more
meteors, 1 of which was another Sigma Hydrid.  Satellites were visible
continually during this period.  There were 2 pairs of interesting ones.
Two going opposite directions passed only a degree apart.  Even more
entertaining to watch was a faster one overtaking a slower one, passing less
than a degree apart.  That gave me something to watch for two minutes
anticipating the close approach.

In the evening sky the planet gathering is absolutely beautiful to see.
Uranus is a breeze to find, but I have failed on Neptune for 2 nights --
stadium lights interfering plus some clouds last night.  I am cancelling the
telescope gathering intended for Dec 3 due to the next front coming.  Maybe
we will try again on Sat night except it may be quite cold for here -- high
on Sat is expected to  be below 60F.  That would be warm for most places but
it feels frosty and out of place here.

The International Star Registry is doing their annual promotion.  For just
$45 you get a star named after you, you receive a chart showing your star's
location, and this information is stored in a Swiss vault.  Sound good?  But
even if your star goes nova, you won't gain any recognition for this
business has no connection with the scientific community.  People are led to
believe that scientists will use their names for the stars hereafter.

As far as Art Bell is concerned, I check in each night to see who will be
with him.  About 3/4 of the time we aren't interested for he goes occultic
and nonsensical.  But among the good 1/4 are some blockbuster shows.  Joan
and I are intensely interested in repeat guests Joyce Riley (the truth on
Gulf War illness coming from biological weapons and vaccinations) and
Malachi Martin (former Jesuit priest on spiritual matters and eschatology);
and in any good science or  medical guests, especially in alternative
medicine.  Joan goes the alternative route since she has a lot of allergy
problems, and conventional medicine no longer helps her at all.

I am having to skip observing Dec 2/3, mostly clear, since I have to be at a
tax meeting in the morning.  It's getting to be that time of year again and
H&R Block is going to have a lot of business.

Norman