[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Request for data

>Hello folks,
>
>I am personally investigating the effect on atmospheric extenction on
>stellar magnitudes and would like your input.  This will allow me to
>compare the theoretical equations with actual empirical data.

Jim,

I am not sure exactly what you want to compare here but I am familiar with
the extinction of starlight with altitude. Those of us who work on the
photometry of stars measure the apparent brightness of stars and their
altitude above the horizon and then reduce the data in order to remove the
effect of atmospheric extinction with respect to altitude. We report
results to 0.01 or 0.001 magnitudes so the methods are considered
reasonably precise.

If your idea is to use this for meteor work, I am unsure at the moment how
the star dat could be used becasue meteors are in the atmosphere and have a
different intervening air mass. Since most of the extinction is in the
lower atmosphere, the data may be directly applicable but I would want to
give it more thought before concluding that it does.

Let me know how I can help.

Clear skies,

Terry

Terry Richardson