[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Cepheus Meteor Activity Dec 5?

<<
 I found it useful to give an estimate of the upper velocity limit of a
 potential meteor shower. I assumed a radiant position at alpha=335deg,
 delta=+65deg, directly within the box of Cepheus. This position has a
 distance of 108deg from the apex of the Earth's motion. The further the
 radiant distance from the apex, the smaller the geocentric velocity. If I
 assume 42km/s as the maximum heliocentric velocity of any solar-bound
 particle, I get 21.5km/s geocentric velocity -- and 24km/s maximum entry
 velocity into the Earth's atmosphere. Since the radiant was high in the
 sky, the meteors should give about the same picture like the kappa-Cygnid
 meteors. The radiant was roughly 60deg above the horizon, the fastest
 meteors should then appear in Pegasus with about 10deg/s speed. So all
 meteors should be a the low end of the velocity range. The velocity
 impression of the guy cited is certainly not accurate; nevertheless, I wish
 to show how such calculations may help judge whether or not a suspect
 radiant is real.

 Rainer Arlt

Rainer, I kinda figured the velocity range the individual gave was too fast
also. But considering that the individual isn't an experienced meteor observer
and don't really know what their interpretation of Slow or Medium velocities
may appear to them, I was lenient with that part of the report. Probably
nothing in reality...but close enough to be suspicious.
George Zay