[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminids

In Arkansas we had clear skies with bright moonlight conditions the
night of Dec 13-14.  After the company Christmas party I went out for a
little over an hour and was very pleased with the showing.  In a little
over an hour with limiting magnitude about 4.2 I saw 25 meteors, 23 of
which were Geminids. There was a slow start and then all of a sudden I
saw 4 in two minutes.  Thirteen of the Geminids were 1st Magnitude or
brighter. One was a -3 and the only one leaving a trail for the night.
It started near the horsemen pulling the big dipper (or however the
legend goes) and traversed the length of the dipper as it headed for the
horizon.  The Geminids were much slower than the Leonids observed during
the last full moon.  Following is a report summary.

December 14,  Longitude W92.0, Latitude N35.5

		TEFF	LM
6:36-7:45 UT       1:04	4.2	23 Gem	      2 Spo       25 Total

The sky was clear and there were no obstructions.  The time lost was due
to getting out my sleeping bag to try to get warmer.  I was facing North
East at an altitude of about 55 degrees.

Robert Togni