[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Dec 25 Meteor Observations

I went out this morning to scope out the old jolly elf and to see if
any meteor activity was occurring. Now I know why no one watches on
Christmas morning, activity is very slow! It took me 69 minutes to
record my first meteor. Activity did pick up after that but I still
managed only 19 meteors in 3.5 hours of watching. The highlight of
the morning was a long Coma Berenicid shooting low in the north just
west of Polaris. The last meteor seen during the session (and
probably the year) was a nice, long -1 sporadic seen in Gemini.

By the way, there was no sign of Santa but when I returned inside the
wife said he paid his visit before I woke up. Oh well, I missed him
again! Merry Christmas everyone!

1000-1100 UT   1.00   5.74   None Seen

1100-1203 UT   1.00   5.86   1 COM   2 XOR   4 SPO   7 TOTAL

1203-1307 UT   1.00   5.76   3 COM   7 SPO   10 TOTAL

1307-1330 UT   0.38   5.67   2 SPO

The data above includes blocks of time expressed in Universal Time
(PST + 8 hours), the actual fraction of an hour spent observing, the
average magnitude near my center of view, and the activity seen.
COM = Coma Berenicid, XOR = Chi Orionid, SPO = Sporadic (random)

I was facing north at an altitude of 70 degrees during the entire
session. Time was lost due to plotting.

Beginning Temperature/Relative Humidity:   37F   (3 C)   60%

Ending Temperature/Relative Humidity:   37F   (3 C)   72%

Bob Lunsford