[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Sighting on 2/8/1998 - 19:05 EST

I was wondering if anyone else saw the fireball my daughter and I observed
at 19:05 EST (approximately) on 2/8/1998.  Below is the report I have filed
with NAMN and with an international organization.

When I first noticed the object is was probably twice as bright as the
brightest I have ever seen the planet Jupiter.  It may have been a -5 to
-10 when it occurred.  I would not even classify myself as an amateur observer.

Thanks,

Russell F. Altersitz

Report of observation
Russell F. Altersitz
Katrina M. Altersitz
RFALTERS@MAIL.DVNCdot net

RFALTERSITZ@WALKLETT.COM

February 8, 1998
19:05

Location of observation: facing the eastern horizon
Approximately 55 to 65 degrees above the horizon

Location of observers:
Swedesboro NJ, USA
45N Degrees Latitude
75W Degrees Longitude

Apparent movement: from overhead toward North East horizon

Apparent distance of visible travel: 5 degrees

Apparent magnitude: Initially as bright or brighter than Jupiter.

Observing time: maximum of 15 seconds, it could have been as little as 10
seconds.

Description of event:

Russell and Katrina Altersitz walked east-southeast from their home shortly
after 19:00 on February 8, 1998.  After they had walked approximately 60
meters, both observers fixed their gaze on the very bright object in the
eastern sky.  Katrina Altersitz began to remark that the object was a very
bright star.  At the same time, Russell Altersitz remarked that the object
must be the planet, Jupiter.  As Katrina Altersitz finished her remark,
both observers notice that the object was not as bright as before.  Russell
Altersitz observed the object continued to lose brightness and appeared to
be moving toward the east-northeast horizon.  The fade was constant as the
object went from bright white to dim red.  It completely disappeared from
sight about 15 seconds after both observers realized there was a bright
object in the sky.

I may be contacted by phone during normal business hours at 302-425-5280 ex
15