[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Iridiums

Iridium is a "Constellation" of some awful amount (sorry SeeSat guys, but to meteor observers, this is still light pollution) [20 or 40 I think?] communication satellites (for Digital Telephone Service I believe). The Solar collectors are aluminized, and when the sun hits it just right can produce bright flares from 5-15 seconds long, with a few as high as Mag -8. They are (IIRC) in about 400 mile orbits, so have slower angular velocity that say the MIR or shuttle, and are, I think, below naked eye visibility the rest of the time. Perhaps it would be in all of our meteor observer's best interest, to try and see at least one of the real bright ones, so we can hopefully discern them from stationary meteors...I believe Alan Pickup suggested that you can see them with binoculars after the flare, but I haven't had time to track one down yet....with the sites Jean-Christophe suggested, I will try and track them down And if you doubt the magnitude estimates, some sighting have been made during the day so it is real. I'm sure UFO reports will abound :-<
	Disclaimer, I am not terrible knowledgable about these sats; I have been lurking on the SeeSat mail list for a while learning. I am not 100% sure of all my facts, so if someone knows better, please correct me...this is all from an overloaded memory.

Wayne