[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) FWD: Fireball Frequency

In your message dated Wednesday 18, February 1998 you wrote :
> At 08:36 AM 2/18/98 EST, you wrote:
> >In your message dated Tuesday 17, February 1998 you wrote :
> >> Could all these
> >> fireballs be the precursors to the big rock? Is an extinction period
> >> beating at our door in the form of mounting numbers of bolides?
> >
> >The short answer would seem to be no. In fact, fireball activity has
> >declined slightly over the past 40 years.
> >Phil Bagnall
>
> Hi, Phil, now I have to ask you the same question! :) What published
> results have you read that indicate such a decline in fireball activity?
>
> Clear skies!
> Lew Gramer

There have been various papers published by organizations like the BAA and
IMO.
Comparing reports since the War clearly shows a slight fall in fireball
activity, despite the fact that there are more observers now than at any
time in
the past.  This lead the BAA Meteor Section Director to conclude that
Taurid
fireballs do not exist(!) even though evidence for Taurid fireballs goes
back to
at least the 11th Century and there are numerous photographs.

--
Phil Bagnall
http://www.ticetboodot demon.codot uk/