[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Fireballs o' Doom

wayne>>To date, the latest report I've seen was that there was NO meteorite
resulting from the greenland event, and I am aware of none for the El Paso
event that conclusively shows there was a fall. Again, until somebody has a
rock in their hand, proven to be meteoric, it is pure speculation. If
anyone is aware of such evidence, I'd love to see it!  <<

Wayne, the el Paso fireball was picked up by surveillance satellites and I
believe enough info was there to conclude it was meteoric? So far it appears
that it obliterated itself and the pieces are probably quite small and
unrecognizable. I'm still surprised that none of the "experts" made any
indications that rain gutters were cleaned out from houses in the area that
reported small debris floating down? I suggested this both here and the
Meteorite mailing list with the hopes someone that is doing the searching
would catch wind to the idea if they haven't already thought of it? It also
bothers me that these "experts" who has access to all this fancy government
provided equipment decide not to release certain bits of info that may make it
easier for someone to determine possible meteorite landing places. Realizing
this, Some of the other experienced meteorite hunters may come across another
fireball with some key bits of info that the "experts" don't have and decide
what's fair is to not share their knowledge with them?

wayne>>On this I wholeheartedly agree. The rumor of an impact crater in
Greenland has taken on a life of it's own despite the evidence to the
contrary. <<

I'd rather have the rumors to sift thru than everyone clamming up because they
don't have everything nailed down. There is always gonna be rumors or
exaggerations that the experienced investigator will have to see thru to find
substance. There was an apparent fireball sighted over Greenland. Now whether
or not there is any meteorites to be found, it's difficult to say. The area is
quite bleak, dark and it's been estimated if anything is there, it's covered
with about 3 feet of snow. Maybe nothing conclusive, but a lead to go on?

George Zay