[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteors by Radio

Greetings Alan!

I have cross-posted your inquiry on the RASC list to MeteorObs, the <meteor>
e-mail list...

The guys here should be able to answer all your questions!  If you would
like to subscribe directly to this list, send a note off to Lew Gramer, the
list administrator, in Boston, at: owner-meteorobs@latrade.com

We discuss meteors in all forms - be it visual, photographic, video, radio,
etc., and the equipment and techniques for each...

There are a number of Canadians already on this list, including some
interested in radio meteor work.  We also have live chat sessions every
Saturday morning, starting at 11.00 am Eastern, and every Monday evening,
starting at 8.00 pm Eastern... Again, information on this is available
through Lew!

- Cathy Hall
  Great White North
  and a former Winnipeger.... ;>

>From: A & L Sherlock <ashrlock@pangeadot ca>
>Subject: RASC List:  Meteors by Radio
>Date:  Thu, 19 Mar 1998 22:10:13 -0600
>
>	With all the cloud we have experienced this winter, I have become
interested in using an FM radio and directional antenna to try and detect
meteors. I understand the basics from reading articles in magazines and off
the net but the one thing I don't have is an appropriate directional
antenna. I have read that Radio Shack sells a Yagi antenna for US$20 but the
guy at Radio Shack I talked to said they haven't carried them for years. I
called around - I found one place that had a Yagi FM antenna for $60, which
is more than I want to spend. Does anyone know of a source for cheap Yagi
antennas or, better yet, a good reference on constructing an antenna? Or any
other advice?

>	Alan Sherlock
>	Winnipeg
>(Manitoba, Canada)

Cathy Hall, chall@cyberusdot ca
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
RASC, Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, Kingston Centre