[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Watches and Batteries.

Adam writes->
>The other question is about the Canon T70s camera body.  You said it can
>be programmed for multiple time
>exposures.  You would be able to for instance program it to take a
>sequence of 10 or 20, five minute
>exposures.  I have thought in the past this would be a great idea but had
>no idea they even existed, esp with
>the fact they don't drain on the battery power.  What would be the
>availability of one of these ?

Dear Adam, Rob, and Meteorobs,

I would be interested in knowing more about the Canon T70 capability. I own
and use 19 cameras from 35mm to 8x10  as well as two CCD cameras, but since
all my 35mm cameras are Nikon, Rob's camera is new to me.

Even without getting a new camera such as the Cannon T70, you may have some
options. What you want is something called an intervalometer. You can make
one yourself easily from electronics you get at a radio shack or similar
electronic supply house. Essentially it is a timer (to determine an
interval), a relay (that turns power on or off according to the timer) and
a solenoid (which depresses the cable release connected to the camera when
the solenoid is activated). I made one in college in the 60's before the
electronic revolution. They do use power but now with modern electronics
only the solenoid (because of the electromagnet) consumes much. If it is
connected to a camera with a true "T" setting then they can be operated in
a mode that consumes very little power and could work off batteries in the
field.

When connected to an older completely mechanical shutter camera, it can be
a real handy device for meteor photography.

There are stock items available from some camera makers and independent
suppliers, but I know that some of them may not be designed to do time
exposures. What they are good for is recording stages that movies are too
fast for. They take a picture every minute or every hour or so to record
plant growth or things like that.

I too would like to know more about the Canon T70.

Peace and clear skies,

Terry

Terry Richardson
Department of Physics and Astronomy
College of Charleston
Charleston, SC 29424
pager #937-1048
note new area code for the SC Lowcountry!
843 953-8071 phone
843 953-4824 fax
http://www.cofcdot edu/~richardt/