[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) CCD image of meteor trail

> I have a CCD frame which has a meteor-like trail.  It was taken with
> the Nordic Optical Telescope 2.56m on La Palma using a 2048*2048 CCD
> last year.  The meteor was a nuisance at the time because it passed
> unerringly through the centre of my target galaxy image, a dwarf(!) in
> the Virgo cluster.
>
> I won't post the GIF file because it's about 200k.  E-mail me if you
> are seriously interested to see it soon; it will eventually appear on
> the IMO Web pages...  I could produce a smaller cropped version if
> there's a demand.  I'm reluctant to place it on anon-ftp, as I've been
> saving the image to promote telescopic-meteor observing.  Some
> magazines demand virgin images.  Does the Web count?
>
> Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

It would be nice if you could email your GIF file to my address
(zj@bac.pkudot edu.cn), either attach it (using PINE etc.) or 'uuencode'
it to ASCII code. I really want to have a look, and then I may have
some feeling on that and pick out some other images from our own
observation (we are using a 2048*2048 CCD with a 0.6/0.9m Schmidt
which has a 58'*58' FOV in the recent 6 years, and it produced MANY MANY
images while it occassionaly had some interesting stuff on). I will
surely delete your file from disk after I take a look. :)

With my best regards, Jin
Jin Zhu                           | Tel.: +86-10-62759888 (O)
Beijing Astronomical Observatory  |       +86-10-68392030 (H)
Chinese Academy of Sciences       |       +86-314-5053035 (Schmidt dome)
P. R. China                       | Fax : +86-10-62759696
email: zj@bac.pkudot edu.cn or jinzhu@sun.ihep.ac.cn
WWW Home Page: http://vega.bac.pkudot edu.cn/~zj