[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Kaigorod and brecciation

At 04:40 PM 4/19/1998 EDT, you wrote:

><< I recently obtained a beautiful brecciated sample of Kaigorod from Mike
> Farmer which prompts the following question.   We are assuming that the
> brecciated nature of this and other meteorites is the result of impact at
> some earlier time.  However, the metalflake in this meteorite is relatively
> evenly distributed throughout all portions of the breccia.  Is this even
> distribution the result of heating in the atmosphere or is there some other
> explanation for its presence and even distribution?  Does anyone know the
> current explanation for this phenomenon? >>
>

>According to Phillip Bagnall's book (is he here?):
>
>"Brecciation may occur at two stages in the history of the meteorite:
>1. On the parent body during crustal or mantle movements (monomict) or
because
>of an impact of another body (polymict).
>2.while the meteoroid is in space as a result of a collision with a second
>meteoroid (polymict)."
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Kevin K

Kevin...That certainly explains the brecciation....but how then does the
EVEN distribution of metalflake form?  Unless the original material has an
even distribution of metalflake to begin with, this still does not resolve
the mystery.

regards,

Steve
Dr. Stephen Ervin