[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ARCHIVE RESEND Re: (meteorobs) Introduction

[Original message dated Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:08:40 -0400]

Clive Churchward (via Lew Gramer) wrote:
> Does anyone have suggestions for exposer times for
> very black skies? I am going to try out three films:-
>                         Kodak Elite II 400
>                         Kodak TMAX 100 pro
>                         A Standard 200 ISO.

If the skies are black, then in theory you want the fastest film
possible.  If you "think" the sksies are "black" then the reccommended
starting point for 400 ASA is 20 minutes.

I would use only the 400 ASA, as it greatly increases the probability of
capturing a meteor over the slower speeds.  Outside of Regina where it
is really BLACK, the only question is how long a star trail would you
like. <grin>.

Shorter times, such as ten or twenty minutes give a less cluttered
image, but do try some 40 and 60 minute exposures.  These will give you
a better feel for what you prefer and how the film reacts.

Since you don't have time to test your camera and lens, I suggest you
select the fstop 1 above wide open to ensure a sharp image.  During the
day, focus at a distant object and note where the index line lies
relative to the "infinity" symbol on the focus ring.  Use this setting
for focus for meteor photos.

Most photo shops do poor work on printing star trails (meteor photos).
You can get good results often by telling them what star trails look
like and to print for a medium dark background.

Always start a film by exposing the first two frames at any bright
source such as a fashlight, normal daylight photo or whatever to ensure
they can set up the film cutter to the images on the film!