[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) July 3 Observations

I observed with George for a third straight morning. The cloud bank
was quite a bit higher this morning blocking out more of the light
pollution to the west. My LM estimates reflected these darker skies
and activity was also improved. One LM estimate in Pegasus (#6)
actually reached 7.0! I counted 48 meteors in only 3 hours. The last
hour was exceptional as the activity really picked up. The shower
activity was down from the previous mornings but the sporadic
activity was much improved. Four more meteors were seen from that
possible radiant near Zeta Pegasi.

I noticed this morning (especially during the last hour) that if I
keep my head still I saw more fainter meteors. I usually am roaming
all over the sky in front of me as I watch in no particular pattern.
I may have to concentrate on keeping still and see if this was a
fluke or if if really improves my catching of faint meteors.

We had a -6 Iridium flare scheduled near 330am but it just outshone
Jupiter and fell short of the prediction. My estimate was -4. This is
all for me until mid month when I will switch around to the north and
concentrate on the Alpha Cygnids and a possible radiant in Cepheus.
Facing this direction will also help me avoid the moonlight.

July 3, 1998

0830-0930 UT   0.93   6.88   1 TAQ   9 SPO   10 TOTAL

0930-1030 UT   0.90   6.95   1 SAG   13 SPO   14 TOTAL

1030-1130 UT   0.84   6.80   1 CET   1 SAG   1 TAQ   22 SPO   25
TOTAL

TOTALS:        2.67   6.88   1 CET   1 SAG   2 TAQ   44 SPO   48
TOTAL

The first column is the period watched in Universal Time (PDT +7
hours). The second is the percent of an hour actually spent watching
the sky. Time is lost for breaks, plotting, and data entry. The third
column is the average limiting magnitude during each period with a
minimum of 4 estimates. The last columns list the activity seen
during each period.

I was facing east at an altitude of 70 degrees. No breaks were taken
during this session. CET = CETIDS (DMS), SAG = SAGITTARIDS, TAQ = TAU
AQUARIDS (DMS), AND SPO = SPORADICS (random activity).

Beginning Temperature/Relative Humidity:   41 F (5 C)   56%

Ending Temperature/Relative Humidity:   38 F (3 C)   76%

Magnitudes:

CET   0 (1)   AVERAGE 0.00

SAG   +5 (1)   AVERAGE +5.00

TAQ   +3 (1)   +4 (1)   AVERAGE   +3.50

SPO   -1 (3)   0 (2)   +1 (2)   +2 (5)   +3 (17)   +4 (8)   +5 (5)
+6 (2)   AVERAGE +2.93

Bob Lunsford

San Diego, California USA