[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Possible meteors from 1997 BR

Hello Kim and al:

>I believe that this is the asteroid that Pierre was talking about
>this morning on the irc chat.
>
>Kim
>            Astronomers Say They Have Found a New Class of
>            Asteroid
>
>            By MALCOLM W. BROWNE
>
>Astronomers at the University of Hawaii have discovered an asteroid
>that they believe represents a hitherto undetected type, a type that
>could hit Earth without warning.
(snip)

Kim, this is interesting information but not what I was talking about
on the irc chat. After going back in the meteorobs archives, I found
this earlier post by Rob McNaught :

>Meteors from 1997 BR
>
>Any meteors from this asteroid would occur around the descending node at
>Solar Long (2000) = 116.8 deg  (~July 19) from a theoretical radiant near
>
>RA 175 deg  Dec +65 deg (2000)
>
>Atmospheric velocity = 16 km/sec
>
>Such a low velocity could result in up to 19 deg of zenithal attraction
>to place the observed radiant on the horizon.  This would be an evening
>shower for northern latitudes with a solar elongation of ~60 deg.
>
>Cheers, Rob McNaught
>(rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au)

It has been suggested that meteors from asteroid 1997 BR could
be possible *if* the asteroid is a burnt out comet - similar to
the Geminids parent. As far as I know, not much is known on the
exact nature of this body. So it might be a good idea for
observers to be on the lookout for any possible activity around
July 19. A radiant, producing very slow meteors would be placed
right on top of the bol of Ursa Major.

Is any further information available regarding these possible
meteors ?

                                     .    .    . .
Pierre Martin                       . . *  . *  .  .
********************************   . . . \   | .  .
Ottawa Valley Observers Group       .  .  .  .   . .
Visual meteor observer                    . .  -* .
Ottawa, Ontario, CAN                 / / .   . .  .
home:  p.martin@cyberusdot ca          / /   / . . .  .
Graphic Designer                 =/ / |\   . |  .  .
National Aviation Museum            / | \   .|  .\
work:  Pierre Martin/NMSTC@NMSTC   /  |  \   * .  \