[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Seeing Showers

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

Jerre Wrote:
> Dayle, It is hard to see a shower.  I have been looking for quite a
while. I saw one meteor yesterday and my husband I thought we saw
something early this morning.  Good luck.  I am north of Chicago.

Jerre,

It is not difficult at all to see a meteor shower. In fact during the
major meteor shower that occur throughout the year most of the activity
you see with belong to that shower. The key is it know the dates when
activity is strong. Here are some key dates you may want to remember:

January 3 (Quadrantids)   Northeast   5am   Medium Speed

April 22 (Lyrids)   Overhead   4am   Medium Speed

May 5-7  (Eta Aquarids)   East   4am   Fast

July 28-30 (Delta Aquarids)   South   3am   Medium Speed

August 10-14 (Perseids)   Northeast   4am   Fast

October  21-23  (Orionids)   South   5am   Fast

November 17-18  (Leonids)   East   5am   Fast

December 11-15 (Geminids)   Overhead   2am   Medium Speed

December 22 (Ursids)   North   6am   Medium Speed

All of these dates will have above average activity as long as the moon
is not present. Remember that the activity will be much stronger during
the morning hours for these showers. In fact most of them are totally
inactive for the first few hours after sunset.

If you have any further questions let us know!

Bob Lunsford

International Meteor Organization