[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Those Meteor Movies - a review

>1.  I thought Deep Impact had the more real meteor science; except a
>shattered, miles wide would cause the sea to boil briefly and set the
>land on fire under it like hundreds of Thengusta(sp?)s- the one over
>the Russian far east that knocked down all the trees, also a bright fireball
>ahead of the first impact smoke cloud would have been many times
>brighter than the sun.
>2.  Except for the NASA stuff and as entertainment the other one was
>wasted.
>Hollywood, they do not seem to like New York this year; do they...

My own comments and impressions about the 2 films:

1dot deep Impact

- 10 minutes of excellent special effects. The space scenes were
believable and the final effects with the tidal wave very well done.
- The comet outgasing and surrounding debris a bit exagerated!!
- At last, a movie with a "believable" meteor storm. The storm at the
very end had a radiant, which is perfectly natural. Many movies
show meteors rediculously going in all directions or "falling" towards
earth.
- Sadly, the movie seems to run out of budget and relies on poor acting,
and cheesy storyline most of the time. The movie was at times, dragging
and the continuous soap opera between characters back on earth got me
bored.
- Oh and why do the observers at the beginning use WHITE LIGHTS (!) to
read their charts.

2. Armaggadeon

- Again, impressive, effective (but unrealistic) visual and sound effects.
This time from begin. to end.
- Lots of attention to detail (spacecrafts, scenery, NASA...)
- Comic relief was welcomed *BUT*, both comedy and suspence were at such
rediculous extremes, it made the film very unrealistic.
- Hollywood exageration to the very limit!! How can such an elaborate
mission with Bruce Willis and his bunch of bozos be carried out with so
little time? A couple weeks to fully prepare and do all training, yet have
plenty of time to laugh and go to bars ? Pure "Hollywood" to me.
- It also gave me a picture that humanity (in the film) is at its
stupidest
level. You dont just run around blasting shotguns, chainguns with no
reasons.
Well, I wish better luck next time for armaggadeon.

                                .    .    . .
Pierre Martin                  . . *  . *  .  .
***************************** . . . \   | .  .
Ottawa Valley Observers Group  .  .    .  .   . .
Visual meteor observer          .    . . .  -* .
Ottawa, Ontario, CAN              . .   . .  .
home:  p.martin@cyberusdot ca           /  . .  . .
Graphic Designer                     .  |    .
National Aviation Museum                |   \
work:  pmartin@nmstcdot ca                 *  . \
                                               *