[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fwd: S. Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower

>From: zgryc, zgryc@globalservedot net

>  Just two weeks before the Perseids Metoer Shower will ocure, the S.
>Delta Aquarids meteor shower will be happening. Its maximum will take
>place from >July 27 to July 29. This meteor showever may not be as popular

>or as great as the Perseids meteor shower... But you still will be able
>to see metoers. The hourly rate is about 10 to 35 meteors per hour and
>will be able to be seen near Aquarius. Have fun!

The final week of July is always a good compromise when the more
famous August Perseids are wiped out by the moon. The warm, summer
nights make it pleasant to go out and observe. Most meteors in late
July will radiate from around Aquarius. The S. Delta Aquarids are the
strongest shower but they are not alone! Activity combines with many
weak southern radiants, early Perseids and sporadics. All together,
this gives very pleasant meteor activity. Most of the radiants in
Aquarius are long lasting with rather broad maximums. So if one night
turns out cloudy, the next one will produce more good rates. Most
Aquarid meteors are faint but I sometimes see an occasionnal slow
fireball from one of the showers called Alpha Capricornids.

Despite my site at high latitude (45 degrees) with the southern
radiants never really high, I can still catch a good number of meteors
visible all night! After 1:00 local, rates tend to go up quite a
bit until dawn. It is best to face south or south-east, toward
the radiants and to look a little more than halfway up to see the
most activity.

With the moon almost not interfering this late July, it should be
a good occasion to travel to darkest possible skies, away from city
lights. As soon as August comes, the moon may become too bright for
useful observations.

                                .    .    . .
Pierre Martin                  . . *  . *  .  .
***************************** . . . \   | .  .
Ottawa Valley Observers Group  .  .    .  .   . .
Visual meteor observer          .    . . .  -* .
Ottawa, Ontario, CAN              . .   . .  .
home:  p.martin@cyberusdot ca           /  . .  . .
Graphic Designer                     .  |    .
National Aviation Museum                |   \
work:  pmartin@nmstcdot ca                 *  . \
                                               *