[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Those Meteor Movies - a review

<< The thing is we do have the technology to develop equipment that can do
 something about these objects if we have enough warning, hence the need for
 a search and catalog of such objects. A very slight change in orbital
 velocity and direction years in advance of an impact can cause a miss. (Not
 a very exciting Hollywood story line, is it? Scientiist find killer
 asteroid that will collide in 50 years. Automatic probe flys out to
 asteroid and deploys a gigantic mylar solar sail [or ion engine or
 whatever] which slowly changes the velocity. Everyone on Earth goes out as
 night decades later and watch this thing glide by the Earth.)

Are the solar sails off the drawing Board? I recently saw a computer animation
showing them at work.
A good read is Arthur C. Clarke's "Hammer of God" where they use the ion
engines. Pretty interesting and entertaining book.

<<Well Kevin I guess this was more than my 2 cents worth on the Texas size
asteroid.>>

Thats all well and good Terry, but it's still landing in my back yard...oh,
right..dot it's just a movie :)

Kevin