[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Those Meteor Movies - a review

<< What about the plan to *deflect* an incoming asteroid by detonating nukes
 from a distance. Not too close to shatter the thing and make it
 worse. By destroying the asteroid, you send a rain of debris on earth,
 with just as much damage.  I read somewhere that a series of carefully
 planned detonations away from the asteroid would send successive
 shock-waves just strong enough to nudge the orbit. But for this to work,
 a very long early warning would be required for a proper preparation.
 One thing is for sure: none of the suggested scenarios would call on
 astronauts to go up to intercept.  >>

A scientist from the same show (I wish I could remember names)  said we don't
have the technology to get a nuke that far out. Maybe we can, maybe we can't I
don't know. But he eluded to the fact that w/o the Saturn 5's we can't.

Kevin