[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) July 30/31 observation....wow!

Hello,

I had a suberb night of observing over 5 hours teff from my dark site
on July 30/31. Conditions at the site were the best so far. The sky
transparency was excellent with no trace of haze all night and my
limiting magnitude was close to 6.5 after moonset!!

It was a very interesting observation. In the early evening, I
noticed a faint arc of aurora low in the north. Around 2:30 local
EDT, it suddenly brightened and moved a bit higher. The aurora
produced some very nice blue-green curtains until dawn.

Meteor activity seemed higher than the previous night with a more
constant rate all night. The darker sky transparency must have made
a big difference in my meteor counts. Lots of it coming from the South
delta Aquarids and Perseids. Also saw some low activity from most other
active showers (NDA, SIA, ACY, CAP, SPC). The Alpha Capricornids
produced only a couple of slow moving meteors. Otherwise, their
activity remained low. Sporadic activity is very good now. A couple
sporadics I called might be possible Pisces Austrinids.

Not too many bright meteors seen despite all this. Brightest were
magnitude -2 including one Alpha Cap and one Perseid. I had many
"double" or simultaneous meteors. The highlight were 2 bright meteors
that appeared exactly same time in the Summer triangle going opposite
directions and leaving trains (magnitude of 0 and the other -1).

Tonight looks very favorable once again and I'll head out again. Too
bad the moon is getting brighter. I will report back with numbers once
the data is decoded from the tape.

                                .    .    . .
Pierre Martin                  . . *  . *  .  .
***************************** . . . \   | .  .
Ottawa Valley Observers Group  .  .    .  .   . .
Visual meteor observer          .    . . .  -* .
Ottawa, Ontario, CAN              . .   . .  .
home:  p.martin@cyberusdot ca           /  . .  . .
Graphic Designer                     .  |    .
National Aviation Museum                |   \
work:  pmartin@nmstcdot ca                 *  . \
                                               *