[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) more meteors and butterflies

Another ridiculously cooperative weather pattern lured
my wife and daughter and me out of the urban sprawl,
and back into the lap of nature last Saturday (8/1), for
another day of wildflowers, butterflies, a few rarer
sights and the shifting tide of meteors.

......We spent a couple hours talking and laughing by the
camp fire before making for a 2 hour nap. The three of
us struggled to rise, managing to force ourselves
upright around 1:30am. (My daughter has the annoying
ability to be sweet and gregarious the moment she opens
her eyes. It takes me most of the next three hours to
reach such an elevated state of cognizance.) Though
low in the southwest and hidden well below the trees,
the moon's presence was obvious in the soupy wash over
head, but over the next half hour or so the sky began
to darken, the Milky Way emerging like a photograph in
a pan of chemicals.

My wife and I lasted till 5am. Our daughter stumbled
back to the tent and hour or so earlier. I didn't bother
with note-taking, choosing, instead, to enjoy the stars
with my family, oo-ing, ah-ing and exclaiming "there's
one!" at each other.

Compared to the previous weekend's meteor shower activity,
the Aquarids were fewer while there seemed a few more
Capricornids. The Perseids were slightly busier, and were
usually brighter than those last weekend, typically
displaying a train. The first meteor of the night was a
bright Perseid, yellow, magnitude -1.0 to -2.0, and left
a blue train in its wake which lasted a good 10 seconds.

It was a wonderful night beneath the stars, an occasional
giggle and trill echoing in the woods, a wild turkey
perhaps watching for meteors as well. (We wondered if it
might be the very turkey we saw earlier in the day.) My
and wife and I spent the last 45 minutes or so warming
ourselves by the re-kindled campfire, gazing skyward for
the handful of meteors we would see streaking over our
small fire glowing in the night.

***** Non-meteor nature stuff *****

We returned to Lynx Prairie, hoping to share with our
daughter the wonders we stumbled into the previous
weekend. While not as abundant, the butterflies were
every bit as ubiquitous, one of the highlights this
time being a cooperative Giant Swallowtail. Though
things such as anthropology and evolution are what
tops my daughter's ice cream, she couldn't help but be
utterly amazed at this palatable dose of nature.

On our Side Of the Hill the Swallowtails nectared
continuously on Ironweed (in bloom already!), showing
less interest in the Green-headed Coneflower (these
2 flowers, blooming together, were lovely splashes of
yellow and purple). Skippers, a small species of
butterfly with many varieties, seemed to enjoy the
patches of Hyssop Skullcap.

Late in the day, as we relaxed on the front porch of
the dilapidated 100 year old cabin, I noticed a
rustling of foliage about 15 feet away (much of this
foliage is well over 6' tall). What I thought was
probably a feeding Common Yellowthroat was, in fact,
a fawn, spotted and big-eyed. When it noticed us
watching, it backed off quickly, but then resumed
feeding about 20' away.

____
Even when it was, it wasn't, was it?

Gregg M. Pasterick
Special Contributor at the Prodigy Gardens (somebody has to pull
weeds)
Kilbourne, Ohio

http://pages.prodigy.com/daddy
http://pages.prodigy.com/Mr.Natural