[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Foreshortened Meteors (Was: Re: July 29 Observations)

I have seen several meteors that I would call foreshortened, the most memorable
of which was on the peak Perseid night, August 1993 (or maybe '92). During a
break from observing, several of us were standing around talking. Directly from
the direction of the Perseid radiant we saw a meteor, duration was less than
half a second. The path can only be describe as a very tight curl, perhaps 10
to 15 arcminutes in diameter. The curl was about a turn and a quarter, (450
degrees). Several of us saw it, and collectively we decided the only
explanation was that it was a Perseid meteor coming directly at us, with a
small perturbation that made it appear to curl. I wish I'd been recording at
the time, but then I'd probably not been looking in the right direction to
notice it.

Gregg Lobdell
gml@halcyon.com

Treasure Hunt Ornaments