[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Perception...

Lew et al,

>I thought I recalled you observing with Cathy at some point, George?

No, Lew, haven't had the pleasure yet!

>Or maybe you did, but somehow failed to notice she can often see meteors 60
>degrees and more from her center of field! So think about it a sec: facing up
>70 degrees, and she can see meteors out 60 degrees. That all adds up to 130
>degrees, sports fans:

Ah, come on!  Surely not that far out!  For our West Virginia observing on
the Friday evening, I know I saw a number of meteors quite a distance from
my center of field, but I don't recall any <quite> that far out.... ;>
Haven't decoded that tape yet... guess I should do that!

>in other words, an observer like Cathy would need to set
>the umbrella a certain distance away - unless that observer wanted to note a
>small obstruction of field for their entire session...

Have never heard the umbrella idea... but not a bad one!  I have heard of
people putting occulting bars in eyepieces so as to dim the glare of bright
stars, in order to pick out faint galaxies... same principle!  Occulting
bars, disks, etc...

>This illustrates why advice from even the MOST experienced observers always
has
>to be taken with a grain of salt: because what they know, they know from THEIR
>perception

True, Lew!  However, I'd give serious consideration <any day> to any advice
I could get from George! ;>  He has been extremely helpful over the past
couple years with advice, and helping me getting back into serious observing
after a number of years of not being involved in it.

>Clear skies for all tonight!

I'll ditto that....

- Cathy
Cathy Hall, chall@cyberusdot ca
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
RASC, Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, Kingston Centre
NYAA, North York Astronomical Association