[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Full Moon Observing

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998 KevTK@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> This question might be totally obvious but I feel I must ask it anyway.
> Does a full moon observing session have any effect on a dark sky site vs. a
> no-dark sky site?
> In other words do I still have to drive and hour and a 1/2 to sit under a near
> full moon sky  for some Perseid data or can I do it from nearer my house which
> is fairly lighted polluted (LM MAYBE reaches 5.0) when the moon is absent?
>
> Kevin

Last year for Perseid max., the Moon was just past first quarter, and I
was able to get a LM of 6.4 while it was high in the southwest (better
than my city and suburban sites would ever get without the Moon). So it's
probably worth it. LM after moonset went to 7.1 fairly quickly.  Air
pollution, haze, and moisture probably are enhanced in the moonlight, so
high and dry is a good strategy.

I'll be observing from 5:30-8:30 or so UT on the 13th, since that's the
most convenient time for me.

--
Wes Stone <wstone@lclarkdot edu>  Lewis and Clark College, Portland, OR
                 SKYTOUR Amateur Astronomy Hypertext: