[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Perception...

<< Subj:	 (meteorobs) Perception...
 Date:	98-08-11 22:03:38 EDT
 From:	chall@cyberusdot ca (C.L. Hall)
 Sender:	owner-meteorobs@latrade.com
 Reply-to:	meteorobs@latrade.com
 To:	meteorobs@latrade.com

 Lew et al,

 >I thought I recalled you observing with Cathy at some point, George?

 No, Lew, haven't had the pleasure yet!

 >Or maybe you did, but somehow failed to notice she can often see meteors 60
 >degrees and more from her center of field! So think about it a sec: facing
up
 >70 degrees, and she can see meteors out 60 degrees. That all adds up to 130
 >degrees, sports fans:

 Ah, come on!  Surely not that far out!  For our West Virginia observing on
 the Friday evening, I know I saw a number of meteors quite a distance from
 my center of field, but I don't recall any <quite> that far out.... ;>
 Haven't decoded that tape yet... guess I should do that!

 >in other words, an observer like Cathy would need to set
 >the umbrella a certain distance away - unless that observer wanted to note a
 >small obstruction of field for their entire session...

 Have never heard the umbrella idea... but not a bad one!  I have heard of
 people putting occulting bars in eyepieces so as to dim the glare of bright
 stars, in order to pick out faint galaxies... same principle!  Occulting
 bars, disks, etc...

 >This illustrates why advice from even the MOST experienced observers always
 has
 >to be taken with a grain of salt: because what they know, they know from
THEIR
 >perception

 True, Lew!  However, I'd give serious consideration <any day> to any advice
 I could get from George! ;>  He has been extremely helpful over the past
 couple years with advice, and helping me getting back into serious observing
 after a number of years of not being involved in it.

 >Clear skies for all tonight!

 I'll ditto that....

 - Cathy
 Cathy Hall, chall@cyberusdot ca
 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
 RASC, Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, Kingston Centre
 NYAA, North York Astronomical Association

One definate reason to put up some kind of obstruction of the moon is to avoid
an involuntary viewing of its glare while watching for the meteors.  You can't
help wanting to look at it, if for no other reason than to get an idea as to
how long you've been out, the time.

BM223